Need a free QR code reader app? While viewing a dynotag does not require a QR scanner (just visit the web address printed on every tag), QR scanners are convenient when using mobile devices.
- Did you know that iPhones, iPads and iPods can now automatically read QR codes in the Camera App? This is built into iOS so there is nothing to install.
- Similarly, Android phones can use the free Google Lens app to read QR codes as built-in functionality. If not built-in, it’s a simple download from Google Play.
- For other devices, we suggest trying the NeoReader® app, available from neoreader.com for many popular mobile devices. It’s fast, works well even in poor lighting and free to install. A good alternative even if you have other QR reader apps.
Note that in order to view a dynotag, a QR reader app is NOT required.
All one needs to view the tag is using a web browser to visit the unique web address printed on the tag as as dynotag.com/xxxx-xxxx. This way, there is no burden on the person finding the tag load a special tag app, get a smartphone, etc. Any modern web browser will work.
The QR code on a dynotag smart tag simply encodes that dynotag’s unique web address in a machine readable form for QR apps to read and automatically start a web browser visiting that address – as a means of convenience – for smartphones.
There are a several factors involved in a successful QR code scan:
- QR scanner app being used (apps vary greatly in capabilities and usability!)
- Light conditions / view angle/ distance from the QR code
- The model and power of the phone (camera resolution / processor power). As expected, later model phones are more capable in scanning QR codes.
We recommend you install and try a few of the apps we suggest below and pick a favorite to be your primary app.
Some QR scanner apps launch the default web browser automatically, others ask for your permission. So – all the QR code app does is: saving you typing the web address of the smart tag into a browser manually. This helps eliminate web address typing errors.
Your Smart Tag contents are maintained by DCS (Dynotag Cloud Service) that is available 24/7 so anyone visiting your Smart Tag’s unique web address can get the information you entered. You can verify this yourself by visiting the unique web address of your Smart Tag from a web browser.
While anyone can visit the web address and see the contents, only you, the tag owner can update the contents and see when the tag was accessed by signing into your dynotag account and clicking on the tag of interest…
There are many free QR readers but we compiled a list of them for your convenience. A search for “QR” in the App Store of your platform should present you with more choices, many good apps for free!
Depending on your phone or tablet OS, you may try the following FREE apps (there are many more out there). We recommend using apps that need permissions for device camera ONLY. No QR scanner should need to access your contacts, for instance.